Optimal Property Management

3-35 Stone Church Rd., Ancaster, On L9K 1S5
Tel: 905-648-6440 | Fax: 905-296-5970

Residents - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Through our many years of experience, we have found that tenants have questions and concerns. Here is a compiled list of the most frequently asked questions and our answers.

How do I become a tenant?

If you are interested in renting one of our vacant units, the first step is to download a Rental Application form and submit it to us via e-mail or fax or regular mail. Please fill out all fields, sign and date it , indicate what address the rental is for. Optimal Property Management performs background checks and does have criteria based on income, credit, and previous rental history. Once your tenancy has been approved, you will be asked to remit a security deposit to hold the unit, and all occupants 18 and older will be asked to sign a lease. No unit will be held until a non-refundable deposit is collected in secured funds.

Rent collections are strictly enforced, as are noise rules and any other lease violations.. If there is anything in the lease, House Rules, or in the unit itself, with which you may have issues, be sure to discuss this with your Property Supervisor before you move in.

How do I pay the rent?

Make payable to Optimal Property Management Inc. Generally, if you live in an apartment building, rent is paid to the Property Supervisor.

If rent is not payable to a Property Supervisor, mail payment to Optimal Property Management 3-35 Stone Church, box 316, Ancaster, Ontario L9K 1S5.
To insure your payment is credited, cheques and money orders must include the current date, your name and address with the apartment number.

What happens if I don’t pay my rent?

If your rent is not received on the 1st of the month,, you will be served a legal notice to pay your rent or leave the apartment. RTA 2006, c. 17, s. 59 (1).If rent is not received by the time the notice expires, and you do not leave, you will be subject to eviction proceedings. RTA 2006, c. 17, s. 69

Being out of town does not excuse you from paying the rent. Rent must be paid regardless of any personal circumstances or problems you may have. This is part of your lease agreement, a legal document voluntarily signed by you. If your check bounces, you will be subject to a NSF fee.

If there are any problems you wish to discuss in regard to your rent, you may contact your Property Supervisor.

How do I report a repair which needs to be attended to?

Download a maintenance request form., deliver it to your superintendent (if applicable) or you may e-mail the filled out form to info@optimalpopertymanagement.ca if you live in a smaller building. Alternatively fax to: 289-239-7174 or mail. Most maintenance issues can be attended to within 48 hours.

Please note, If there is a problem which was caused by you or your guests, such as in inappropriate item flushed down the toilet, you will be charged for the repair. (RTA 2006, c. 17, s. 34)

What is considered an emergency?

An emergency is defined as a trouble that will cause a safety hazard to residents, or pending damage to property, so that fixing it cannot wait until the next business day. Some examples would be an overflowing toilet, a broken pipe, electrical outage, fire, flood,. If there is a gas leak, call the gas company in your area first, and if there is a power outage, call the electric company in your area first to see if there is a general power outage.

In case of an emergency first call your Property Supervisor. Alternatively, contact us at 905-648-6440. Our line is monitored 24/7.

Do not hesitate to call 911 if you feel it is something that is life-threatening or you suspect criminal activity.

Will OPM notify me when a repair person is coming to my home?

Optimal Property Management will give you a 24 hour notice to enter.,2006, c. 17, s. 27 (1), unless you agree to allow OPM's vendor to enter your home on an as-available basis. 2006, c. 17, s. 26 (1).There is no requirement for you to be present, but you must provide access to your home, with proper notice, for purposes of repairs. There is no requirement for OPM to give you notice if there is a suspected emergency.

I have a complaint regarding my neighbor.

As a first step, if your neighbor is violating House Rules, we always suggest first talking to your neighbor in a calm manner. For example, you may want to let him/her know that they may be unaware that it is late at night, that their music can be heard in your unit, and is preventing you from sleeping. If you have already tried this, and it continues, contact the Property Supervisor. If you feel you have no choice, by all means contact the Police Department (905) 546-4925 (switchboard - non-emergency).. If the behavior continues, fill out a compliant form below as further steps will have to be taken. 2006, c. 17, s. 64 (1).It is important that you provide dates and times that the event occurred. Sign and date the letter.

I want to share the unit with a roommate. How does rent payment work? Can we each be responsible for half the rent?

In a roommate situation, both roommates are entirely responsible for the rent. You must work it out between yourselves as to how you get the rent payment to OPM; for example, there are times when one roommate may pay more rent than another, significantly larger, but that must be worked out between roommates and is not handled by OPM. This will simply be considered non-payment of rent, and both your names will appear on a legal notice and any possible eviction.

I am on a month-to-month lease and will be moving. What notice is required?

In accordance to the Residential Tenancy Act you are required to give in writing a 60 day notice. The 60th day must end on the last day of the month. Form is below. 2006, c. 17, s. 37 (2).

I received a job transfer to another City, and need to leave before the end of my lease. What is my obligation?

Inform Optimal in writing as soon as you know about your transfer, and give an exact date you will be vacating the unit. You will still be responsible for rent owing until the end of your lease term, or until a new tenant is found. Under some circumstances we will allow the tenant to assign the lease to a new person (applicant must meet our criteria). It would be to your benefit to keep your unit as presentable as possible, and cooperate fully with Optimal Property Management showing the unit, so a new tenant can be found as soon as possible. You may even want to advertise the unit on your own, and introduce any interested parties to OPM. This will help lower any of your costs.